An apartment building in a historic Los Angeles neighborhood had to be torn down after a devastating fire on May 16th.
The LAFD responded with over hundred firefighters to a structure fire that was reported at 3:03 a.m. on May 16th, in the 4000 block of South Main Street, which is a part of the the Historic South-Central district of Los Angeles. They discovered a 24-unit two-story center-hallway house with visible flames. The huge flame begun in a densely-packed basement used for storage, which spread to the rest of the building, says Nicholas Prange, a spokesperson for the LAFD.
Firefighters faced with strong smoke and temperature rise, while search teams were evacuating the people who lived there. One person got an extra medical help at the hospital due to the smoke poisoning. At least 4 buildings were evacuated as a precaution.
The walls and floors soon began to collapse, so the fight continued from the outside. As the official statement says, the flames rose throughout the entire building, and across the attic. Eventually, the south side of the building collapsed. At that point, the only option was to tear the entire complex down.
Red Cross was notified to assist residents with interim housing. An MTA bus was ordered to give residents a sheltered place to wait, off the street, while details for accommodation were worked out.
“Apartment fires are notoriously dangerous with high potential for casualties,” says the LAFD statement. “Today, we are reminded of the importance of operable fire protection systems (especially smoke detectors), and previously-discussed emergency escape plans, and it was fortunate only one resident was injured in the blaze.”